This is my favorite cookie recipe adapted to Grain-free baking. It reminds me of a super moist sugar cookie with a mild hint of maple, which is the perfect accent. I really can’t express enough how great these are!
A few notes about the recipe. I have a wheat version of this recipe here from before I went grain-free. This recipe is almost exactly the same, subbing for wheat flour for almond flour. Having made both recipes countless times, I can say with all honesty that I see no compromise in the grain-free version. Both recipes are a delicious treat.
This makes a very large batch so be prepared to spend some quality time rolling dough balls and cooking 3-4 sheets. I highly encourage you to refrigerate the dough for at least two hours to firm before rolling. To ease rolling, I keep a small dish of water nearby and dip my fingers between balls, this works better than rolling in flour.
My recipe calls for Maple Sugar, which is hard to source locally. I order mine online at Amazon.com or Vitacost.com. I love the additional flavor that Maple Sugar adds, but it can be substituted for Coconut Sugar if you don’t have any on hand.
These cookies spread like crazy if the dough is not thoroughly. I recommend placing the balls 2″ apart and not try to cram these all onto fewer sheets or you will end up with a giant cookie blob. I encourage you to bake this cookie on parchment and not directly on the cookie sheet, they are delicate and will fall apart if you have to scrape them too much. Allow to cool for several minutes on the parchment before transferring them to a platter.
I hope you enjoy these! Let me know how it goes!
Grain-Free Maple Cookies
- parchment paper
- baking sheet
- 4-1/2 cups Almond flour blanched, fine
- 1 cup Butter softened
- 1 cup Maple syrup
- 1/2 cup Coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup Maple sugar (can sub for regular sugar if unavailable)
- 1 Egg
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2 tsp Baking soda
- 1 tsp Cinnamon ground
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg ground
- 1/2 tsp Sea salt ground
- 1/3 cup Sucranat or Coconut sugar for decoration
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line 3-4 cookie sheets with parchment. Trust me on this, you need parchment.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and coconut and maple sugar. Add the egg, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix until well blended.
- Blend almond flour, salt and baking soda. Stir dry mixture into wet mixture until well blended.
- Using a small cookie scoop or spoon, shape dough into 1 inch balls and roll in sugar.
- Place on cookie sheets about 2 inches apart and flatten slightly.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Let cool on wire rack.
Recipe based upon Maple Cookies recipe by Craig Gund
Leave a Reply