Delicious cookies can still be yours! Behold the recipe for what I deem the PERFECT Chocolate Chip cookie.
What makes this recipe special? Years of tweaking has gone into this formula. I have made this with all sorts of flours, all sorts of sweeteners, but the real magic happened one day as serendipity. I was mid-way through baking my cookies when my salt grinder broke. I had no ground salt in the cupboard and I was not about to throw out the batter. I used the rock Pink sea salt that I had and made a little prayer to the baking gods. Well you know what, that prayer was answered with a salty sweet delight! The little salt rocks become a little jewel that sets off the flavor receptors. It is the perfect flavor balance and my guests beg for these amazingly simple cookies!
This recipe utilizes almond flour, your wing man in a grain-free kitchen. Pretty much any treat made with almond flour is delicious! Almond flour is easy to work with and has a lot of natural oils. Almond flour treats can appear a little dry on the surface due to the properties of the flour, but most of the recipes are actually quite moist and delicious. A couple of tips with almond flour:
- Do not over mix the batter, just mix until combined. If you work it for too long you will get the oils pressing out of the meal, which will change the batter consistency.
- Almond flour does not tend to spread like wheat does. If you place a raw almond dough ball on the sheet and bake it, you will end up with a cooked dough ball at the end. When working with almond flour it is best to lightly form the dough to your desired result.
- Watch the oven to ensure that you do not overcook. When you have baked a lot with wheat you sort of know how long it takes for something to go from light brown to overdone. With almond flour that time frame is much narrower. A cookie can go from appearing raw, to being done in just 30 seconds. My advice is to watch the oven carefully until you get comfortable with the baking properties.
- Be prepared for a surprising lovely flavor from almond flour, which has a natural sweetness and is very mild. In truth, I would stick with my almond flour over wheat flour even if I did not need to be on a wheat-free diet.
I hope you love these, too! Let me know how these work out!!
The Perfect Grain-Free Chocolate Chip Cookie
- 2 cups Almond Flour blanched, fine
- 1/2 cup Coconut sugar or Sucranat
- 3/4 cup Organic Chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup Organic unsalted butter softened
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons Organic Vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon Rock Sea salt large rock crystals (not ground)
- 1/2 tsp Organic Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line cookie sheet with parchment.
- In a large bowl cream together softened butter and coconut sugar. Add egg and vanilla and blend until smooth.
- In a small bowl blend the dry ingredients. Add almond flour, cinnamon, baking soda and sea salt and mix until evenly combined.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to the butter/sugar mix, blending then adding more, until the batter is even.
- Add chocolate chips
- Use a small cookie scoop to drop even scoops onto the cookie sheet. Press lightly to flatten. Almond flour does not spread the way wheat flour does and if you don’t flatten you will end up with balls.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. These will only brown slightly so look for the slightest browning on the edges. Watch the cookies closely as they begin to brown. Almond flour can scorch quite quickly.
Leave a Reply